Senator Baba Tela, a two time senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who represented Bauchi North Senatorial District in the red chambers of the National Assembly was born on 19th December, 1959 in Azare town, Katagum Local Government Area of Bauchi State.
He started his early education at Day Primary School, Azare from 1965 to 1872 and passed out with First School Leaving Certificate. He proceeded to Katagum Government Secondary School (KGSS) Azare from 1972 to 1977 where he obtained WASC/GCE Ordinary Level.
He gained admission into the School of Basic Studies, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria between 1977 and 1978 where he bagged Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (IJMB) Certificate.
He was admitted into the Department of Business Administration of the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in Aug. 1978 and graduated in June, 1982 with B.Sc Business Administration (Finance).
Senator Baba Tela has attended various Courses at home and abroad which included :
- London Business School,
- London School of Economic,
- Harvard Business School and
- University Pennsylvania Business School.
Senator Baba Tela started his working career as a Corps member; he served with Kabajan Enterprises Limited, Sokoto. During his service year, he was in charge of coordinating the finances of the company.
On completion of his service to the fatherland :
1988 – May 2001 MASENTERP NIGERIA LIMITED
Managing Director and Chief Executive – Responsible for the day to day running of the Company.
2001 – Nov, 2002 PRESIDENCY
Served as Special Assistant to the President on Economy
2002 – May, 2003 NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
Elected as a SENATOR of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and served as the : Chairman Senate Committee on Communications;
Member, Senate Committee on Cooperation and integration in Africa and NEPAD
2007 – 2019 Member – Board of Directors, Zenith Bank PLC
- Chairman F & GPC of the Board
- Member, Credit Committee
- Member, Board of Governance Committee
- Director Zenith Bank Gambia
- Managing Director/CEO Masenterp Nig. LTD
- Chairman CICONNX Communication LTD
- Lagrent Dental Services LTD
SERVED ON THE FOLLOWING BOARDS AS DIRECTOR/MEMBER AMONGST OTHERS:
- Chairman Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency
- Governing Council, Federal University of Technology, Minna-Member
- Coats Brothers (W.A) Limited – Director
- Azare Community Bank Ltd – Director
- Ni’ima Consultants Clinics – Director
- Bauchi State Agric Supply Co. Ltd – Director
SOME COURSES/PROGRAMMES ATTENDED
- London Business School (LBS) – Advanced Corporate Finance
- London School of Economics (LSE) – Achieving Leadership Excellence: Research and Practice
- Harvard Business School (HBS) – Making Corporate Boards more effective
- Harvard Business School (HBS) – Compensation Committees: New Challenges New Solutions
- Financial Institutions Training Center (FITC) – Various Courses in Dubai, Lagos and Abuja
HOBBIES: Reading Traveling and Golf