ABUBAKAR TATARI ALI POLYTECHNIC, BAUCHI
The administration of Mohammed Abubakar came into at a time the when the institution was faced with serious internal crisis – students had staged a peaceful demonstration to press home their demands for improved facilities and accreditation of academic programmes in the institution, while the Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic chapter of the Academic Staff Union of the Polytechnic had issued an ultimatum on April 30th 2015 seeking the implementation of 10 points demands. The prompt intervention of the Government at that juncture saved the situation and restored peace and stability to the institution.
ACCREDITATION OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
Degree Programmes (NUC) Accredited
The National Universities Commission, NUC, had granted approval for the Polytechnic to run seven degree programmes in affiliation with the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi beginning from the 2016/2017 academic session. These programmes are: B.Ed. (Tech.) Automobile Technology, B.Ed. (Tech.) Business Education with options in Accounting and Business Management, B.Ed. (Tech.) Building Technology, B.Ed. (Tech.) Electrical/Electronic Technology, B.Ed. (Tech.) Metal Work Technology, and B.Ed. (Tech.) Woodwork Technology.
National Diploma (NBTE) Accredited
Within the period under review, the National Board for Technical Education, NBTE, had accredited thirty-four National Diploma, ND, and Higher National Diploma, HND, programmes run by the Polytechnic. They are: HND Civil Engineering, HND Building Technology, HND Mechanical (Manufacturing), HND Electrical Engineering Technology (Telecommunication Option), HND Estate Management and Evaluation, HND Accountancy, HND Public Administration, HND Business Administration and Management, HND Science Laboratory Technology (Biochemistry), HND Science Laboratory Technology (Microbiology), HND Science Laboratory Technology (Chemistry), HND Science Laboratory Technology (Physics/Electronic), ND Public Administration, ND Taxation, ND Local Government Studies, ND Quantity Survey, ND Urban and Regional Planning, ND Survey and Geo-Informatics, ND Welding and Fabrication, ND Architectural Technology, ND Business Administration and Management, ND Science Laboratory Technology, ND Mass Communication, ND Electrical and Electronic Engineering, ND Computer Science, ND Mechanic Engineering, ND Social Development, ND Geological Technology, ND Statistics, ND Building Technology, ND Estate Management, ND Accountancy, ND Civil Engineering,.
National Certificate in Education (NCE Technical Education) Accredited
- The National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) had similarly within the period under review accredited 17 NCE and NCE Technical Education programmes for the Polytechnic. They are: NCE Automobile, NCE Electrical, NCE Building, NCE (Technical) Business Education, NCE Metal Works, NCE Woodwork, NCE Primary Education, NCE Early Child Education, NCE English Language, NCE Biology Education, NCE Mathematics Education, NCE Social Studies/Economics, NCE Physical Education, NCE Chemistry education, and NCE (Technical) Computer Education.
- Renovated students’ hostels, construction of ICT Centre at the main campus, upgrading of the Mass Communication Complex, Science Laboratory Technology Lab, Computer-based Test Centre, upgraded Language Laboratory, Library and the School Clinic Complex;
- Collaboration with other institutions. Within the period under review, the Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic was approached by the Universiti Tun Onn Hussein, Malaysia for collaboration in the training of staff, research and other academic programmes following the successful postgraduate training of academic staff of the Polytechnic by the University. Following the inspection of the Polytechnic’s facilities by the two institutions, proposal for collaboration is being awaited.
- The state government in collaboration with the Ministry of Power and Energy has opened discussion with a private company, Addenbrooke Solutions Limited on a plan for the establishment of a solar-powered firm to generate 50 megawatts and memorandum of understanding of the project is being studied by the Ministry of Justice and the Polytechnic’s benefit is that it will be placed on a dedicated power supply line from the project;
- Provided access roads, portable drinking water, electricity and staff offices, and transfer of 77 staff from MDAs to the Polytechnic;
- Accredited over 60 courses by the National Board for Technical Education, NBTE and secured reaccreditation of NCE courses from the National Commission for Colleges of Education, NCCE;
- The Polytechnic secured approval from the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University for the commencement of degree programmes in technical education in affiliation to the University.