Launched the 2015 farming season in Misau. This was followed by the disbursement of 10,000 metric tons of fertilizer to farmers at subsidized rate of N2, 750.00 for NPK and N3, 000.00 for Urea. Similarly, tractor hiring services were provided to farmers to ease their farming activities. Other achievements in the agricultural sector are: –
- Partnered with the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) in the improvement of food security of about 2, 000 IDPs in the State through the provision of 60 metric tons of assorted (improved) crop seeds.
- Distributed artisanal fisheries inputs (nets, floats, sinkers, ropes etc) to about 200 fishermen under the GESS Project.
In the year 2016 farming season, 20 metric tones of fertilizer, equivalent to 666 trucks and distributed in over 40 different locations in the 20 LGAs of the State.
- Government keyed into the Federal government agricultural financing programmes, especially the CBN’s ANCHOR BORROWERS PROGRAMME, working to make it easy for farmers to borrow access funds from commercial banks.
- The Bauchi State Agricultural Development Programme are working with the CBN to, Commercial Banks, the Anchor Processors and the Commodity Associations on Rice and Sorghum for rain fed and Rice & Wheat for dry season production. The State Government provided equity, training and extension services as required by the CBN. The State targets at least one hundred thousand rice and maize farmers in 2017 planting season. The fertilizer is highly subsidized with NPK sold at 4,000 and Urea sold at 4,500 naira.
- Government contacted commodity companies in China and Lebanon who indicated interest in our sesame and soybeans and groundnuts. Others showed interest in establishing agro-processing industries.
- 8 models of small and medium capacity tractors that can be affordable to our farmers have been indentified, and efforts are being made to procure the tractors for farmers before the 2017 planting season. This seeks to reduce time and labour farmers spend on land preparation, planting, weed control and harvesting.
- In order to mechanize farming in the State, plans are being made to procure some combined harvesters and sell them to farmers with heavy subsidy.
- Similarly, to encourage necessary change in livestock farming, the present administration in the State is making efforts to encourage ranching, breeding, beef and dairy productions as well poultry and fish production. To that effect the administration is collaborating with China Research Institute on the development of our pastures and fodder for livestock, especially on a grass species developed that can yield 500 metric tons of fodder per hectare in one growing season. This will be made available to our livestock farmers.