BAUCHI STATE GOVERNMENT HOUSE PRESS RELEASE
Your Excellency, the Deputy Governor ,
The Honourable Speaker, Bauchi State House of Assembly,
My Lords the Chief Judge and Grand Khadi,
Honourable Members of Bauchi State House of Assembly,
Members of the State Executive Council,
The Secretary to the State Government,
The Chief of Staff, Government House,
The Chairman PDP , Bauchi State,
The Head of Civil Service,
Chief Executives of Parastatals and Heads of Extra-Ministerial Departments,
The Vice chancellor, Bauchi State University,
Honourable Visiting Vice-Chancellors
Your Royal Highnesses
Members of the Bauchi State University Senate,
Staff and Students,
Chairmen Caretaker Committees of Local Government Councils,
Members of the Press,
Ladies and Gentlemen.
Let me start by expressing my gratitude to Allah for making it possible for the long-awaited maiden convocation ceremony of Bauchi State University to hold today. As we all know, convocation ceremony is an important component of academic pursuit during which Degrees in both Character and Learning are awarded to graduates upon successful completion of their courses of study. I was made to understand that attempts were made to hold the convocation by previous leadership of the University but could not hold due to several challenges which are not peculiar to this University. I therefore congratulate the Vice-Chancellor for this great achievement and hope to work closely with the Management of the University to ensure that the convocation is held regularly in tandem with National Universities Commission’s recommendation.
- The Bauchi State University was established in the year 2011 to give our Youth the opportunity to further their education and provide middle level manpower for the state civil service. I would like to use this opportunity to commend the University Management for maintaining peaceful atmosphere on its campuses and good working relationship with the State Government and relevant agencies that cater for primary, secondary and tertiary education. Our Government will continue to support the university in the areas of research and innovations in order excel and move the state to a greater height. The world is moving towards digital economy and my vision for the university and indeed other tertiary institutions in the state is to promote technology and skill acquisition in order for our graduates to be self-reliant, not job seekers. I therefore challenge the University to come up with courses and programmes that will turn the tide and open up opportunities for our people to improve their economy.
- Pursuant to our determination to restore to the educational sector its fading glory, an Education Summit will be conducted in Bauchi from 18th to 19th of this month. The summit is aimed at transforming the educational sector with emphasize on designing a road-map whose implementation will ensure equitable access to quality and functional education.
- Like in primary and secondary educational institutions, our government is poised to provide infrastructural facilities and necessary support to state owned tertiary educational institutions to ensure hitch-free academic activities. To this end, the following activities have been carried out at the State University: –
(a) construction of 3 kilometres of roads at
the Gadau Campus.
(b) Extension of power supply to faculty of
Basic Medical Sciences
(c) Procurement of lab equipment and
(e) Employment of 160 staff
(f) Collaboration with TETFUND to improve
existing structures and build new ones.
Other State-owned tertiary institutions of learning have also not been left out in our determination to ensure educational excellence. Consequently, government has been supporting the institutions towards the achievement of full accreditation of their courses, provision of physical infrastructure and supply of office equipment and furniture in collaboration with TETFUND, training and retraining of staff to acquire Masters and PhD degrees and ensuring proficiency in teaching. Government has also been promptly releasing funds for the day today activities of the institutions.
- In the area of support for indigenes of the State to acquire higher education, we have since the inception of our Administration in 2019, paid a total of N658,539,470:00 as scholarship to 32,987 students undergoing courses at various tertiary institutions.
- As a result of the increasing number of candidates seeking for admission into tertiary educational institutions, both the Federal Government and Bauchi State Government have established more tertiary institutions of learning in the State. A Federal University of Nutrition and Health Sciences has been established at Azare and Federal College of Education has been established at Jama’are. As a good host, the Bauchi State Government has provided temporary sites for the two institutions. Furthermore, the State Government has released N10 million and provided computers and stationaries to Federal College of Education Jama’are for its take off. Beds and computers have also been provided to the Federal University of Nutrition and Health Sciences at Azare. On our part, we have established an additional state-owned College of Education at Dass. The sum of N60million has been released for its take-off. The State Government has also established an Oil and Gas Training Institute to produce professional and vocational manpower for the petroleum industry that would soon start work at the Kolmani Oil field in Alkaleri Local Government. The institute has already taken off at its temporary site at the Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic. Provision has been made in the 2024 budget for construction of the permanent site of the institute at Alkaleri.
- I would like to call on staff of the University to uphold the culture of selflessness, fellowship and commitment; you are leaders in your chosen carriers of educating our youth. You should imbibe the spirit of give and take and cooperate with the management of the institution and work towards the progress of the state and its citizens. I therefore urge you to demonstrate exemplary behaviour and remain role models to your students not only as teachers but also as parents. To this end, the University rules and regulations for the smooth conduct of its staff and students should remain sacrosanct and be strictly observed.
- To the students, I advise you to imbibe the culture of discipline, hard work and respect for your lecturers and of course the University authority. The purpose of being in the University is not just to learn and conduct research but to also learn how to live a responsible life away from the supervision of your parents. You must note that a lot has been invested by both the government and your parents to get you educated; you must refrain from anti-social behaviour and the influence of bad friends. I need to remind you that the future of our state and the country as a whole depends largely on you as leaders of tomorrow.
- For those students who are graduating today, you must realize that you have moved a step forward to the middle of the ladder in your life journey as responsible citizens. You will now be released to join the wider society where you will demonstrate your knowledge and what you can offer for the wellbeing of mankind. As you find your bearings, I admonish you to be loyal to your superiors and stand by the truth always.
- As education is the bedrock of progress and development of every nation, our Administration had since inception in 2019 invested a lot of resources in addressing the decay in the sector. The government has constructed and renovated a lot of primary and secondary schools too numerous to mention in all the twenty local governments, and we have equally addressed some of the burning issues in our tertiary educational institutions.
11.In our desire to leave Bauchi State much better than we met it, we have developed a road map for the new Bauchi Project aimed at promoting sustainable development, enhancing the quality of life and fostering economic growth in the state. It is an initiative of my government in response to the growing needs and aspirations of the ever-increasing population of the state. The project which is a paradigm shift will address development challenges, including inadequate infrastructure, limited access to quality education and health care, food insecurity and underdeveloped tourism potentials. The primary objectives of the Bauchi Project include but not limited to the following:
- Enhance the quality of lives of all residents with particular emphasis on the vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth by creating new opportunities for employment, entrepreneurship and investments.
- Improve access to essential services such as education, health care, clean portable water and sanitation for all citizens.
- Foster a green and resilient economy through the adoption of environmentally sustainable practice and technologies
- Preserve and promote the rich cultural heritage and natural beauty of the State, thereby positioning it as a leading tourism destination in Nigeria.
- I want to appeal to the good people of Bauchi State to support the government towards the realization of these noble objectives. Let me equally call on the University Dons to come up with ideas on how to surmount the ever-increasing security challenges bedevilling our state and the nation, especially server crimes, kidnapping, youth restiveness, and drug addiction.
13.I wish to express my gratitude to the Chancellor of the University, His Royal highness, the Emir of Bauchi, Dr. Rilwanu Suleimanu Adamu for your continuous guidance and fatherly advice. I equally wish to acknowledge and thank the Pro-Chancellor for his immense contribution to the University from its inception to date. Bauchi State is indeed proud of you and you will ever be remembered as a foundation member of the University. I also wish to thank the Emirs of Katagum, Misau and Jama’are for hosting other campuses of the University.
- Finally, I would like to once more congratulate the University Governing Council, the Management, Staff, Students and the entire community of the state University for a successful maiden convocation ceremony.
Thank you and God bless.
Office of the Adviser Media and Publicity to the Governor
16th December , 2023.